Saturday 13 November 2010

I Want To Go Back To My Previous Employer. What Procedure Should I Follow?

Question
I am working in an IT company nowadays and have been with this company for one year now. I came to this company because the pay scale was higher than the last job that I had. However after working here for a year, I have realized that I made a mistake by coming back to work here. Apart from the higher pay scale, there are no significant benefits and the quantity of work is too much for a single person. Moreover, my boss is very arrogant and my stress level has gone beyond control since I started working here. After much thinking I have decided that I want to go back to my previous job as they paid less but the work pressure was manageable. Moreover, the boss at my previous company was appreciative of my work and was very nice and amiable. However, the problem is that since I left my last job I have not been in touch with any of my former colleagues or the boss. Now I am not sure how I should approach the subject of my return to the company. Should I drop by, send an email or make a call to the boss? Please advice on how to address this issue in a professional manner so that I do not ruin my chance of going back to work for that company.
Muneeb Mushtaq Ali
 
Answer
Dear Muneeb,
Considering all the problems you are facing at your current job, it is understandable that you want to return to your previous job despite the fact that the pay scale is lower at the previous company. After all, there is nothing more important that personal satisfaction and a person who is not satisfied at his job cannot perform well. Continuing in such a situation can lead to burn out very early in the professional life.
Since you have made the decision to return to your previous employer, it is important to make sure that you play your cards right. Before making any concrete move, you need to find out whether the position you are aiming for is still open. Obviously the employer must have hired someone else when you left but there might still be room for another person in the team. Try to find out the situation by getting in touch with an old colleague, even if you didn’t remain in touch after leaving the job.
Once you determine that a position is available, your next step would be to contact the employer. If you left the job on good terms, this would be easy and you can just give him a call and ask about the chances of you rejoining them. A more formal approach would be to ask the send a casual email mentioning your interest in returning to the employer. Also mention the desire to meet in person and discuss the possibility.
When you meet with the employer in person, make sure that you do not appear desperate for the job as that will tilt the balance in his favor. Ask him about the position available and discuss the perks if you come to them. Leave the discussion open ended and do not try to seal the deal then and there. Give him time to think which will make sure that you do not appear desperate for the job and help you in getting a better package.
We hope that you are able in securing a position at your old company with ease.

Best of Luck
Raheel Ahmed Khan

No comments:

Post a Comment

what is Juice Jacking SCAM

  Juice Jacking is a cybersecurity threat that occurs when cybercriminals manipulate public charging stations, such as USB charging ports in...